Friday, June 5, 2009

The Philippine Jeepney

(This article was first published in Small World Ezine on 19 May 2003)

Thank you our subscriber Barbara, who asked about the 
Philippines' remarkable "Jeepney". I search around and found
that they even had a "Jeepney" forum and listings! What is
a "Jeepney"? Why do I have to be amazed to the fact that 
they have a chat forum? Read on...

 Jeepney Trip to Bangnan, Ifugao Province, Luzon, Southern Tagalog, Philippines Art Photographic Poster Print by John …

A "Jeepney" is a form of public transportation here. 
Actually it is the most popular transportation in the 
Philippines. With the minimum fare of 5 pesos (about a 
dime), you can travel across a town. 

But the cheap fare is not what made Jeepneys "Philippine's
pride". 

At the beginning, Filipinos built their own Jeepneys out of
U.S. army jeep surplus after WWII. The back of the jeeps 
were extended and installed with two inward-facing benches. 
A steel roof is added to protect riders from sun and rain.
One Jeepney can accommodate 22-23 passengers (20 at the back 
and 2 beside the driver). 

Then drivers started to add their identities to their 
Jeepneys. Designs and decorations highlight every square 
inch, from mudflaps to headlights, including much of the 
windshield. Prominent adornments include Catholic 
iconography and multinational corporate logos. A crucifix 
mounted on a Mercedes-Benz grill is not unusual, and hubcaps 
of any brand can be attached to most parts of the vehicle's 
exterior. Vehicles are christened with names ranging from
"Jesus is Lord" to "Sex Machine." Some jeepneys require a 
second battery just to power gratuitous lights and horns.
Philippines Jeepney Sticker (Rectangular)
Nowadays, there is no more U.S. army surplus. Jeepneys are
made from parts salvaged from exhausted Japanese trucks, 
and probably Toyota engines. Also, some owners won't
decorate their Jeepneys that much anymore becuase the bad 
economic situation had taken away their resources and 
spirits. However, Jeepneys will still remain the main public
transportation of this country for a long time.

Read more about the Jeepneys and see the pictures at...
Jeepneys of the Philippines (see an over-loaded Jeepney)
Jeepney Mania (with Jeepneys all over the Philippines)
Gerard's Jeepney Collection

 

  Philippines Jeepney Jr. Ringer T-Shirt Philippines Jeepney Jr. Raglan

More:

I don't like riding on these Jeepneys very much... actually.
I found very few safe drivers. There are no door both in 
the front and at the back. The receive the fares and give 
changes while driving. And I'd never seen a slow Jeepney 
(unless when they are passing a school or department store 
and slow down to look for passengers). 

However, safety issues are not the reasons I don't like 
travelling with a Jeepney. My problem is... Filipinos are 
tiny people, and the Jeepneys are built based on their 
average size. I am from Thailand, which is a neighbouring 
country, but Filipino XL size is sometimes too small for me. 
Actually I am only 1.64 metres (5'4") tall and usually weigh 
65 kgs (1.35 lb.) -- not too huge by International 
standard -- or is it? 

When people get on a Jeepney, they have to walk in with
their knees and back bent down until they find a seat 
(because the roof is low). When I do that, my chin almost
get knocked-out by my own knees. And when I sit down, my 
knees point out farther that anyone else in the Jeepney. 
People step on my feet all the time. I guess my butt takes 
too much space on the long bench too. I guess drivers don't 
like me much either because they can't charge me double
(laugh).            

No comments: